Robert Powell is tired of seeing his picture as Jesus


Robert Powell Jesus character in the film Jesus of Nazareth. I never cease to say and repeat it to the world since 1977 that I am not Jesus Christ, I am just an actor and British Comedian. I am hurt and tired of seeing my photos displayed in places of worship and prayers. I just make. A. Film for a living so that people stop loving and praying me. Burn my pictured and worship the only God in truth.

Robert Powell was born on Thursday, June 1st, 1944, five days before D-Day, on Tuesday, June 6th, 1944, in Salford, Manchester, England. In 1964, he started his acting career while attending Manchester University. In 1967, he made his film debut, and later landed his first starring role in The Italian Job (1969). Some of his well-known movies include Franco Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth (1977), Ken Russell's Tommy(1975) and Mahler (1974), the sequel or remake of The Thirty-Nine Steps (1978), and the popular TV series, Doomwatch (1970). Robert ended his bachelor life, when he married Barbara "Babs" Lord, on Friday, August, 29th, 1975. 
They are parents of two children (1 son & 1 daughter). In 1982, Robert 
won the Best Actor award at the 
Venice Film Festival for his 
performance in Imperative (1982). He 
won the best actor award at the Paris
 Film Festival forHarlequin (1980). For 
his portrayal of Jesus in Jesus of 
Nazareth he received best actor 
awards from TV Times and Italian TV 
Times, the international arts prize at 
the Fiuggi Film Festival, grand prize 
at the Saint-Vincent Film Festival, 
and a nomination as best actor from 
The Irish Academy of Film and 
Television arts. In reference to his 
role as Jesus in Jesus of Nazareth, Robert said, "I hope Jesus Christ will be the last in my line of sensitive young men for quite a while."

Studied at Manchester University
Two children: Barney (b. 23 Nov 1977) and Kate (b. 1979).
Married Barbara "Babs" Lord (a dancer with "Pan's People") at Goostrey Parish Church, Goostrey, near Jodrell Bank in Cheshire, on 29 August 1975.
Educated at The Manchester Grammar School.
Considered for the roles of Caine, Dr.Armstong, Bukovsky and Roger 
Derebridge in Lifeforce (1985).

Personal Quotes (3)

I hope Jesus Christ will be the last in my line of sensitive young men for quite a while. Robert Powell, 1975
I'm only 75 per cent a person when I am not acting.

I was skinny, odd looking. As one critic said, I had a face like a haunted parking meter. To suddenly have girls jumping on you from all sides, you think 'Why me?' Then you take advantage of it but that's neither here nor there.


Comments

Popular Posts